Life can be very difficult at times. Sometimes we feel there is nothing that can help our situation, so we give up on trying. I am not an expert on all things motivation, but I have some advice that I hope will encourage anyone who reads it. Here are 5 things you can do to make attaining your goals easier:
- Make a List: This one is self-explanatory, but one of the most important things you can do to start organizing your thoughts and focusing your efforts. Write down everything you need to do to accomplish a task in chronological order. This way you can follow along as you check things off your list (which is always satisfying) and look ahead to the next items to complete with your newfound motivation.
- Set Goals: Everyone should have a good set of short- and long-term goals for their lives. Just remember an effective goal is a SMART goal. That is, Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-bound. For example, instead of saying, “I will write my paper,” a more effective goal would be, “I will write my 5 page essay over the course of the weekend.” The former is too vague and not time-bound, the latter is SMART and more likely to be attained. It is also best to write down your goals.
- Take a Breather: Sometimes you just need to walk away and breathe for a few minutes. Once you have cleared your thoughts, you will make better, more sound decisions.
- Treat Yourself: Don’t be too hard on yourself if things are not going well. Sometimes you just need to #TreatYourself! This can also motivate you to accomplish your goals by “rewarding” yourself every time you complete one of your major tasks.
- Ask for Help: This is a hard one. I think many people shy away from asking others for help because they want to do things on their own; they want to do things their own way. However, it can be very beneficial to hear others’ opinions and receive their advice. Don’t be embarrassed when asking someone for assistance, because they are in your life for this very reason. Be humble and reach out! We are all here to live life together and help each other out when we can.
I hope this helped you to at least get things started to attain your goals.
What are some things you do to make goal attainment easier? What would you add to the list above? Let me know in the comments!